Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. Day, a day set aside to celebrate and honor the birthday of the slain civil rights leader.
- State, local government offices: Closed.
- All financial and stock markets: Closed.
- Banks: Option to close.
- Post offices: Closed, no regular mail delivery.
- Newark Public Schools, Central Office: Closed.
- Non-uniformed city services, including municipal court: Closed. Judges will be available to preside over bail hearings for defendants in custody. Residents who wish to resolve a warrant, post bail, file a temporary restraining order, or file a citizen complaint may do so at any police precinct. Residents can pay parking and traffic tickets through the website njmcdirect.com. To utilize this website, residents will need their summons number, including the prefix, and the City of Newark’s court code, which is 0714.
- Municipal recreation centers: Closed.
- Department of Child and Family Well-Being’s inspection services, transportation for seniors, the WIC program and health clinic, including the free immunization program: Not operating.
- Division of Vital Statistics: Closed. Residents will not be able to apply for permits, birth certificates, name-change certificates or marriage licenses, nor pay water or tax bills at Newark City Hall.
- Trash pickups that normally occur on Monday, Jan. 16 are moved to Thursday, Jan. 19. Any garbage put out on Jan. 16 may result in a fine. Residents whose trash is collected by a private contractor will not be affected by the holiday schedule.
- New Jersey Transit trains: Operating on a major holiday/weekend schedule. Click here to check train schedules.
- PATH trains: Operating on a regular weekday schedule on New YearÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Day.
- Newark Light Rail: Operating on a Saturday/holiday schedule. Click here for the schedule.
- Bus schedules: Varied by route. For more details, check timetables, call 973-275-5555 or
*Contributed by NewarkNJ.Patch.com*